top of page

Free Tax Prep LA in Koreatown

Free income tax preparation services are available through the IRS-Sponsored Volunteer program.

Services are offered by IRS-Trained and Certified Volunteers. It is required that you bring all

required documents and pay attention to the type of tax returns that are considered Out-of-Scope.

Koreatown Youth and Community Ctr.

3727 W. 6th Street Suite 410

Los Angeles, CA 90020

(Between Normandie/Western)

Call for an appointment:



What to Bring to your Appointment: 

  • Required: All taxpayers must be present with photo identification

  • Required: Original Social Security Cards or ITINs for tax filers and dependents

  • Last year’s tax return (tax year 2022)

  • W-2 from your job/employer

  • Total Cash income & 1099 Misc from a Job or Uber, Lyft, Postmates, etc.

    • VITA: Business expenses are limited to $20,000

  • 1099 G from EDD/Unemployment

  • 1099 R from Retirement Income

  • 1099 SSA from Social Security Administration (Not SSI)

  • 1099 INT for Interest income (savings or bank account)

  • 1099 DIV from Dividends

  • W-2 G from Gambling

  • Form 1095A for health insurance purchased through Covered CA

    • (We do not need 1095B nor 1095C)

  • Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IP PIN) issued by the IRS

  • Bank account number for fast and secure direct deposit of your refund.


Forms for credits and deductions:

  • Self-Employment Deductions: Receipts & invoices related to self-employment; and total mileage for car deduction

  • Education Credit: Form 1098T Tuition form for you or anyone on the return attending college

    • Education Credit: Complete tuition and financial aid statements, and/or receipts for required textbooks, technology, and software. 

    • Note: Housing, parking, and food is not included in the Education Credit.  

  • Form 1098E Interest paid on Student Loans

  • Form 1098 Mortgage and Property Tax

  • Donations over $500 require a letter

  • Medical expenses: Receipts

  • Child Care credit: Name, Address, Social # and Phone Number of your Child Care provider

  • ITIN Applications & Renewals: valid photo identification and birth certificate OR a valid passport.

Returns that are considered Out-of-Scope:

  • Incomes more than $60,000

  • Married Filing Separately returns (If you are legally married & file alone - you may be a Married Filing Separate taxpayer - this is out of scope and we will not be able to assist you).

  • Self-employed or cash income with:

    • Taking expenses with no proof (receipts, documented mileage, etc. are required)

    • Business related expenses over $20,000

    • Have a loss

    • Businesses with employees, inventory, or business property.

  • Returns for companies and/or businesses

  • Cancelled debt income (Forms 1099C and 1099A) for foreclosures or short sales.

  • Handwritten tax documents (W-2, 1099, 1098, etc.)

  • Returns for visitors, such as “F,” “J,” “M,” or “Q” visas, that require a 1040NR tax return.

  • Foreign Income

  • Royalty Income

  • Partnership or income from an LLC (Form K-1)

  • Returns with the sale of stocks with more than 20 sales.

  • Returns with sale of cryptocurrencies.

  • Returns with AirBNB rental income.


Forms that WE DO NOT NEED:

  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

  • Child Support

  • Veterans Benefit

  • Life insurance when someone passes

  • Settlements not related to a job or employment

  • CalFresh or food assistance

  • CalWorks or welfare cash assistance from the county

  • Inheritance, gifts, or bequests

  • Alimony for divorces after 2018

  • Money from a scholarship is not taxable. However, if you use the money for room and board, or use it to pay other personal expenses, that portion is normally taxable.

  • Health insurance from an employer or county (Forms 1095B and 1095C)


These are not taxable


Out of Scope
What to Bring

Additional Free Tax Services

Documents to bring to your appointment.

bottom of page