Be Prepared:  Required documents

(Print list here)

Returns that are considered Out-of-Scope.

If any of the following apply, we are not able to assist you:

  • Incomes more than $57,000

  • Married Filing Separately returns (If you are legally married & file alone - you may be a Married Filing Separate taxpayer - this is out of scope and we will not be able to assist you).

  • Self-employed or cash income with certain deductions:

    • Taking expenses with no proof (receipts, documented mileage, etc. are required)

    • Business related expenses over $10,000

    • Have a loss

    • Businesses with employees, inventory, or business property.

    • Returns for companies and/or businesses

Taxpayers may benefit from seeing a paid preparer to take deductions with no proof or cannot substantiate. The free program follows strict guidelines set by the IRS. 

  • Cancelled debt income (Forms 1099C and 1099A) for foreclosures or short sales.

  • Handwritten tax documents (W-2, 1099, 1098, etc.)

  • Returns for visitors, such as “F,” “J,” “M,” or “Q” visas, that require a 1040NR tax return.

  • Rental Income or income from AirBnB

  • Foreign Income

  • Royalty Income

  • Partnership or income from an LLC (Form K-1)

  • Sale of stocks with more than 20 sales. Please, see a paid preparer. 


Forms that WE DO NOT NEED:

  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

  • Child Support

  • Veterans Benefit

  • Life insurance when someone passes

  • Settlements not related to a job or employment

  • CalFresh or food assistance

  • CalWorks or welfare cash assistance from the county

  • Inheritance, gifts, or bequests

  • Alimony for divorces after 2018

  • Money from a scholarship is not taxable. However, if you use the money for room and board, or use it to pay other personal expenses, that portion is normally taxable.

  • Health insurance from an employer or county (Forms 1095B and 1095C)

These are not taxable

Please, bring have all of your documents ready for the appointment:

  • Required: All taxpayers must be present with photo identification

  • Required: Original Social Security Cards or ITINs for tax filers and dependents

  • Last year’s tax return (tax year 2019)

  • W-2 from your job/employer

  • 1099 G from EDD/Unemployment

  • Total Cash income (VITA: expenses are limited to $10,000)

  • 1099 Misc from a Job or Contract Work (VITA: expenses are limited to $10,000)

  • 1099K for Uber, Lyft, GrubHub, etc.

  • 1099 R from Retirement Income

  • 1099 SSA from Social Security Administration (Not SSI)

  • 1099 INT for Interest income (savings or bank account)

  • 1099 DIV from Dividends

  • W-2 G from Gambling

  • Form 1095A for health insurance purchased through Covered CA (we do not need 1095B and 1095C)

  • Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IP PIN) issued by the IRS

  • Bank account number for fast and secure direct deposit of your refund.


Forms for credits and deductions:

  • Proof of expenses for your self-employment and cash income (proof of mileage and expenses)

  • Form 1098T Tuition form for you or anyone on the return attending college

  • Complete tuition, financial aid statements, and/or textbook receipts for you or anyone on the return attending college

  • Form 1098E Interest paid on Student Loans

  • Name, Address, Social # and Phone Number of your Child Care provider

  • Form 1098 Mortgage and Property Tax

  • Donations over $500 require a letter

  • Medical expense