top of page

Free Tax Prep LA in Koreatown

Free income tax preparation services are available through the IRS-Sponsored Volunteer program.

Services are offered by IRS-Trained and Certified Volunteers. It is required that you bring all

required documents and pay attention to the type of tax returns that are considered Out-of-Scope.

Koreatown Youth and Community Ctr.

3727 W. 6th Street, Suite 410

Los Angeles, CA 90020

(Between Normandie/Western)

Call for an appointment:


Additional Free Tax Services


What to Bring to your Appointment: 

  • Required: All taxpayers must be present with photo identification

  • Required: Original Social Security Cards or ITINs for tax filers and dependents

  • Last year’s tax return (tax year 2022)

  • W-2 from your job/employer

  • Total Cash income & 1099 Misc from a Job or Uber, Lyft, Postmates, etc.

    • VITA: Business expenses are limited to $20,000

  • 1099 G from EDD/Unemployment

  • 1099 R from Retirement Income

  • 1099 SSA from Social Security Administration (Not SSI)

  • 1099 INT for Interest income (savings or bank account)

  • 1099 DIV from Dividends

  • W-2 G from Gambling

  • Form 1095A for health insurance purchased through Covered CA

    • (We do not need 1095B nor 1095C)

  • Identity Protection Personal Identification Number (IP PIN) issued by the IRS

  • Bank account number for fast and secure direct deposit of your refund.


Forms for credits and deductions:

  • Self-Employment Deductions: Receipts & invoices related to self-employment; and total mileage for car deduction

  • Education Credit: Form 1098T Tuition form for you or anyone on the return attending college

    • Education Credit: Complete tuition and financial aid statements, and/or receipts for required textbooks, technology, and software. 

    • Note: Housing, parking, and food is not included in the Education Credit.  

  • Form 1098E Interest paid on Student Loans

  • Form 1098 Mortgage and Property Tax

  • Donations over $500 require a letter

  • Medical expenses: Receipts

  • Child Care credit: Name, Address, Social # and Phone Number of your Child Care provider

  • ITIN Applications & Renewals: valid photo identification and birth certificate OR a valid passport.

Returns that are considered Out-of-Scope:

  • Incomes more than $60,000

  • Married Filing Separately returns (If you are legally married & file alone - you may be a Married Filing Separate taxpayer - this is out of scope and we will not be able to assist you).

  • Self-employed or cash income with:

    • Taking expenses with no proof (receipts, documented mileage, etc. are required)

    • Business related expenses over $20,000

    • Have a loss

    • Businesses with employees, inventory, or business property.

  • Returns for companies and/or businesses

  • Cancelled debt income (Forms 1099C and 1099A) for foreclosures or short sales.

  • Handwritten tax documents (W-2, 1099, 1098, etc.)

  • Returns for visitors, such as “F,” “J,” “M,” or “Q” visas, that require a 1040NR tax return.

  • Foreign Income

  • Royalty Income

  • Partnership or income from an LLC (Form K-1)

  • Returns with the sale of stocks with more than 20 sales.

  • Returns with sale of cryptocurrencies.

  • Returns with AirBNB rental income.


Forms that WE DO NOT NEED:

  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

  • Child Support

  • Veterans Benefit

  • Life insurance when someone passes

  • Settlements not related to a job or employment

  • CalFresh or food assistance

  • CalWorks or welfare cash assistance from the county

  • Inheritance, gifts, or bequests

  • Alimony for divorces after 2018

  • Money from a scholarship is not taxable. However, if you use the money for room and board, or use it to pay other personal expenses, that portion is normally taxable.

  • Health insurance from an employer or county (Forms 1095B and 1095C)


These are not taxable


Out of Scope
What to Bring

Documents to bring to your appointment.

bottom of page